Friday, March 6, 2009

False Eyelashes Are the New Combover

Has anyone else noticed the sheer volume of young celebrities who wear fake eyelashes? Even though it's been a trend for a few years now, I have a hard time accepting them. Now eye make-up, even the excessive, I understand. I've got a whole other entry ready to go concerning the true merits of eyeliner alone...

But the fake eyelashes, I don't understand them. Like the combover, no one's fooling anyone...

The first time it became a problem for me was in watching the Post 9/11 call in Tribute Show on television where singers and movie stars generated pledges for the families of the fallen fire fighters. Faith Hill sang a song. I don't remember the song because I could stop staring at her enormous black tangle on her face. It didn't help that she kept her eyes closed most of the time which made the things only that much more irreverent and frightening.

Now they're all over the media: on MTV (which I could just chalk up to flamboyant fashion), on television (which is harder to take when the actress in question is playing a school teacher or a nun.) Even Katie Couric has taken to donning the lazy face spiders. When she does I cannot hear a word she says. Someone on your show has a cure for cancer? Sorry, your eyelashes won't stop screaming at me. This is not unlike the inner voice that calls out combover, combover, combover while I'm watching an otherwise smart-seeming guest on Charlie Rose ... Look how far over that part is... and like four strands of hair...

Perhaps the notion of fake eyelashes seem so foreign because they skipped a generation. I've seen pictures of my aunts in them, and the women wearing them today look like they're playing dress up in mommy's room. Perhaps I just need to view them in the same light as the roll-bang of the eighties, something ridiculous but also rather impressive when you consider the commitment and skill it takes to execute such a thing.

Except Katie Couric. When interviewing the crazy president of Iraq, for God sake, Katie, take off those ridiculous lashes.

1 comment:

  1. Dangit Lia! Now I'M not going to hear a word anyone is saying b/c I will be too busy deconstructing their eye make-up choice & and deciphering if they are sporting the "fake boobs" of the Loreal world on their lids. "Are they real?"..."are the fake?"....
    XO Becks

    ReplyDelete