Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Everyday Pleasures #1 - The Shamrock Shake

Yesterday was St. Pats Day. It has been years since I've actually gone out in the evening to engage in out-all celebratory merriment. I have to remind myself again and again as I'm getting ready on that morning to even wear green.

But every year, I do go through the McDonalds drive-thru and get a Shamrock Shake.

I love that it's not even advertised any more. I mean, it's McDonalds they advertise everything. And it's St. Patrick's Day. It's like someone in the advertising department just gave up one year and the lack of promotion just stuck. At the same time, it's not like there's any buzz or hype about it being this secret-handshake kind of thing either. Kinda weird. Still, I find a satisfying pleasure in suddenly remembering it's St. Patrick's Day and impulsively going to McDonalds. I keep expecting them to say "We don't have those any more." But no.

A woman in my writing group last night said she took her son a Shamrock Shake at his school after his lunch. That is the power and pleasure of a simple, special ritual. That kid will always remember that.

I will say, the Shamrock Shake has changed. It doesn't so much taste like mint chocolate chip ice cream as much as it tastes like it was flavored with Extra gum, the bright green kind that came out in the eighties. It's not that I find that flavor unpleasant. But, you know, in a gum, not a shake. Every time I took a slurp, I could not help thinking this is what it would taste like if you pryed a big wad of already chewed gum off of a dashboard somewhere and put in your mouth.

Eww, right? Still. I've already established an inertia with the Shamrock Shake that I've decided it's worth the two dollars to simply drive around all day with the pleasantly-colored whipped sensation in my cup holder...

No comments:

Post a Comment